Monday, December 5, 2011

Holidays have come ~ Asli has gone






The Holidays have come to 703 Fort. We got the tree this week, baked dozens of Christmas cookies, enjoyed the first snow and hot fire simmered wasal. The nativities are arranged and rearranged, the stockings are hung and the gift giving has begun with joyous cries as all the students opened their personalized ornaments from Joan and Bob. I received a few things today as well. I got my office back, and I practically got a new wardrobe and library from all the things Asli left behind. But we lost a friend. And all the gifts and beautiful or comfortable things in the world can't replace a relationship. Thankfully, nor can all the time and the miles in the world steal a relationship. Today, with a deep heaviness but relief in my heart I knew what I had always hoped – the bonds we have built within these walls will never be erased or replaced.
Of course things will change... and today we morn those changes. The children morn the loss of their constant companion and playmate. The only masters student I know who is willing to put off studying to play Zoobals. The renter of the i-pad, the bringer of laughter and stories all around. I am morning the loss of her slippered feet shuffling into the kitchen at the first clank of the dinner pans. To ask what we were having, to offer a needed suggestion, lend a helping hand, or tell a tale of a Turkish food that is “So delicious – Amanda, we can do it!”. And of course who will suggest an addition of garlic yogurt to everything and lemon in every soup? Who will skype transatlantic dinner tales, and make me feel that my daily routine is something news worthy? Who will remind me that my naughty, naughty children are someones love worthy? Who will listen when I just want scream about miscommunications and unmet expectations? My office seems so pointless to enter without someone to share it with. Today, we morn these things.
We morn the loss of our beautiful Dorthy, our Skype queen, our friend. We'd rather she were within our walls – but we know, “there is no place like home.” So go – go home, our friend. Travel safe and find your family well. Enjoy the faces and foods, places and warmth of your culture that we know you have so dearly missed. May your future be as bright as your laughter – the love given to you as broad as the love you have shared with us. May you continue to teach others by example what it means to enjoy life and live faithfully and honsetly toward all those who you hold in your heart. May you pursue truth and find it – may you build a home and dwell there in peace. We can not pray enough good and beauty on your future life, because we could never have imagined such beauty coming into ours.




Dear Asli - I took this photo after we made your shoes because I knew at that moment you had left a mark on our lives... Thank you.

No comments: