Sunday, December 11, 2011

Half his life

So, my husband turns 30 today - and he has officially spent half of his life loving me. Poor thing. There are only two things the man does not do well in life, and sadly the consequences are the hardest on him. He does not pick women or jobs that are easy to love. Other than that - I honestly can't think of any personal failings the man has.
He's brilliant. I've always know it - but it is fun to have his sister in med school and students studying for the LSAT and everybody affirming, "You know Jarod - you could really do this." He could. He could do anything. I hope there comes a time in his life where he just gets endless hours to study all the things he wants to know. I don't see it happening - but it can be my birthday wish for him. (I think he wants to make a sterling engine this year... but my dad has been wanting to make a steam engine for 30... so we'll how it goes.)
Also, he can fix anything. And that comes in so handy with me around - because boy can I break things. Sometimes (because I am horribly morbid) I think about what I would do if he died. And after dwelling on all of the emotional pain that the kids and I would go through I begin to think about the practical side of things as well. And then I think about the fact that I probably couldn't even access all of our photos and videos if he died and then usually I start to cry. (Don't tell him that though because he already thinks I'm crazy).
I don't really worry about him dying ALL THAT OFTEN because physically I think he is in pretty good shape - though I nag at his horrible eating habits and the running joke of this year has been that he has literally gained 50 lbs since we got married. But still - you'd never know. Although I may have to worry about caring for him for 30 years after he gets crippling diabetes. Or him being brain damaged from a non-helmeted motorcycle crash. But I guess turn about it fair play...
Because he doesn't just take care of our stuff. He takes care of us. Oh, so well. You know I am sitting by this fireplace that he and my dad installed last year? LOVE IT. Jude is out playing some game with him in the mancave. He always has time for those kids... even when they are driving him insane. LOVE IT. I may have a tendency to complain but when it comes right down to it - I know I am a princess. I know I could sit around all day eating bon-bons and watching soaps and he would take care of us and love me just the same.
And I guess that is why I love him the most. Because he has always - since the moment I met him - he made me NOT want to sit around and do nothing with my life. He honestly makes me want to be a better person every day. He believes that if we want something we can make it, if we have a goal we can achieve it, if there is someone we want to help we we should - no matter the cost or inconvenience, and if we want to follow Christ with all of our hearts - we can do that too - tripping, falling all over ourselves and being genuinely a mess is really not a problem - it is just a part of life - get back up and keep going. He has experienced grace and he gives it freely - to me and others.
He is a good man... my old man... and I can imagine nothing greater than grow up... growing old and growing better by his side.

So here is the deal Dear. In this, your thirtieth year of life, let's try you cutting back on the junk food and I will try to cut back on breaking things. I'll let you go to bed an hour earlier if you'll get up a half an hour earlier. Promise. We both need our beauty sleep these days. Oh - and you need lotion. If you'll put lotion on this winter before your hands start to bleed, I'll THINK about ironing those shirts. Kay? Hope you have a great year, love.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Amanda, This is beautiful! You guys are so sweet together. Hope we get to see you at Christmastime, though I've heard it's not so likely. It's been ages.
- Rachel Larpenteur