Monday, December 26, 2011

Holiday highlights 2011

Well, we had our version of “The Four Christmas's” this year – literally 4 in this house - but I think it went rather well. I am sitting here sipping a cup of lemon tea – leftover from the 45 tea boxes that that the kids and I made. My back hurts a little but overall I think we are no worse the wear for having fed and gifted over 50 people in this house over the past week.
Actually – to be honest- and my parents know this full well – I am not a Christmas person. As a child I dreaded the season because of all of the “hub-bub.” I look back now and realize that my parent's “hub-bub” was really just them pouring their lives into a million people at once. I am sure they made some mistakes – and I am sure we made some mistakes this year as well – but I imagine as adults my kids will look back on their childhood Christmas memories the same way I do mine – just a blur of abundance.
You can never out give God. Once, He gave His life for us – so that we might have life in Him – and that life is more-than-enough abundant. There is no shortage of time or resources – there is no shortage of space - EVER. And everything you give, you know in advance will be returned to you tenfold. Maybe you give a meal and get a moose stocking cap. You really have no idea what is coming your way... but you have the freedom to give because you know that the One who has limitless resources has secured you in love. Like my dad always says, “God will get it to you if He can get it through you.” So I guess that is the miracle of Christmas – to partake in the joy of loving the world. There is no doubt in my mind – this Christmas we were blessed far beyond any blessing we could ever give... as usual... as always.

A Top ten (or so) of Christmas memories?

Making reindeer "welcome mat"s and candy houses with Jude's class



Mrs. Sparkman receiving BJ's old T-shirts – and Katie re-gifting lotion to my mom at the church Christmas party

A foot of snow

A Posada on the Hernandez front porch

The annual Christmas program at church... with my shy shepherd.

Watching the Tippy family build a nativity in our garage

Watching my children play so well together with each other's toy

A holiday scavenger hunt


A Stafford potluck Christmas Eve lunch that lasted till dinner and then a little longer

Random dog and moose stocking hat gifts


Chinese Hot Pot – that lasted 3 hours


Santa and Mrs. Claus... and all her kisses



Homemade snow ice cream and homemade eggnog

Charades with the guys and the students

Jude's note to santa (And the subsequent re-using of Halloween candy)


The five minute Christmas stories that Aunt Sandy sent the kids... listening to Jude read Lucy Christmas stories

Listening to Jude laugh at “Home Alone”

A family snowball fight in which Lucy quickly defected to the "boy's team"

Jackie's 5 desserts and Chrissy's “extra” - Donald's Golden Corral rolls (That the Saudis think I should buy every night now)

Yep..... it feels good....

No comments: