Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tales from the classroom... and our TV... and the porch

My kids amuse me – but Jude's poor teacher. She never would have guessed that a boy could come home with such detailed stories and analytical questions about her pedagogical methods and the general state of the pupil population. So, the first week of tears is over, we went to the parents' night and most of the wrinkles in life's new schedule are ironed out. The food is acceptable and he has a friend, so asking, “how was your day?” - is most commonly answered with short and sincere “good.” It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed a continued progression toward more of a spectator “good” rather than a participant response. Like he had just watched an enjoyable movie rather than been instructed in anything. And yesterday it was apparent from his smirk that he considers the pageant of his classroom of the comical genre.
And how could it not be – really? With 23 kids in one room it has got to be hysterical – for the observe – for the director it must lead to hysteria. We have tales of children being sent to the principle office multiple times. In the first week. We have pant wetting tales, and sticker charts just for “not fighting” - we have copying tales and oh so much more. According to him – he is the only kid who hasn't lost his “ticket” in the last ten days... and people – he is NOT that good of a kid. I think I'll start to blog some of these stories in time... but what I am really looking forward to is getting to know these kids personally – and this teacher who is doing so well. I hope she finds as much joy in the moments of her classroom as I get from reliving them on the walk home. It's like I've got this whole new group of little people to pray for... and pray I shall, because our son is now influenced more by them than by us.

I do have one – maybe my first ever – parenting success to report. I just thought I'd share it, in case it helps anyone else. LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE mandatory TV. You see, my son has always been addicted to the screen – he comes by it naturally on both sides. And really, I didn't mind when it was Thomas the Train or some other innocent preschool show. But somehow, TV shows jump from preschool level to middle school level.
My friends tell me just to sit with the kid and check everything out – but really, I don't want to watch Ben10 at 4 in the afternoon – Sorry – not going to happen. Or search some fancy website to find out all the ratings, but I'd rather, say, read blogs – than analysis of cartoons. And even if there is something amazing on, the number of commercials per hour is sure to drain even the most safe guarded bank account. And if, just if, I found one show I trusted - the visual heroin would leave them with shakes afterward and erase all memory of how to play with the zombied lines, “PLEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE, ONE moooooooooore.”
But, really, after a long day at school I think a snack in front of the TV sounds relaxing. So here's what we did. One disk of “Little House on the Prairie” from the library each week – five 1 hour episodes that they enjoy, are edified by and can move on from afterward. I haven't heard, “can we watch a movie?” for two weeks. I am thinking we will have enough disks to make it through 3rd grade – it's my longest parenting plan EVER.

On a side note – we have 7 other people living with us now. University is in full swing, our office is in our bedroom and Asli is in the office (which is very convenient since she is right next to the kitchen and super helpful at meal times!) Ramadan ended this morning – they all went to Mosque for a celebration while I pulled bindweed - and as I pulled out of the driveway to deliver a table to a house full of Chinese students there was a group of Saudi students in full dress sitting on the front porch doing homework. I laughed to myself and thought, “Now THAT is something you don't see in Hays every day.” I mean, the Saudi students in headdress – not the huge pile of bindweed... sadly I see huge piles of bindweed almost every day.

No comments: