Thursday, August 11, 2011

first decade




Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
Ephesians 5:24-26


Dear Jarod,
You do well. On this our 10 year anniversary I received a nice meal out, a string of pearls, a figurine commemorating love, patio furniture, and a beautiful lakeside trip. None of them were given to me by you. Thank you.

When I married you ten years ago – though I was attracted to your charming ways and brilliant wit – I married you because I thought you would make me a better person. I now know that you can't make me a better person. But your love if full of grace and that encourages me to be a better person tomorrow than I am today. And you have given me a life full of opportunity to try do that. A life full of favors for others – for sharing and going even when we would rather not. I life that includes late night trips to the airport. A life that includes so much time with our families. A life that is never too full for doing a favor for someone in need. A house full of people to love. A life with our children and our niece. A checkbook that is full because you work – and freely emptied when you see a need. A life full of friends and laughter. And in the midst of encouraging us to go, do, give, and be more - within you is a deep restfulness that calls me to sit by you. By the pond, on the porch, on the couch, in the mancave, with the students, with the children, alone, in front of a TV, with a book, whenever – because it really isn't about us anyway. You have brought me a life of balance and joy. The life you have allowed me to live so far – gives me gifts – and that is the greatest gift I could ever imagine.
Happy Decade.

And to those who have shared it with us... Thank you.


One more random trip. This time to Feeport Il, to visit the Arevalos - they are an example of gracious living. We have so many wonderful examples to follow.

No comments: