Sunday, February 15, 2009

Eternal tourists



Today, when dressing for church, I was struck with how hideous our "church" clothes are. We wear the same ones every week - which is not a problem since we are still going to a different church every week (which is a GREAT and EXHAUSTING experience). But anyway, our clothes are nice "light weight Kansas summer clothes"... which apparently the "in" style for this type of clothing is giant floral. Which isn't bad for 3 only months a year - or on one person - but combined and without fail, we look like Hawaii threw up on my camera. To add to this retched tourist look, the church we went to today happened to be near the largest Ceiba tree in town (the kind of tree the town was named after). So we HAD to go... and here we are six weeks into our life here - the eternal tourists. (Marilyn - please tell Layton I thought of him and his awesome Halloween costume last year... he would fit right in with us!)



And yesterday we did some more touring of the little beach town of Tela ... it was a great day - a fun way to practice Spanish and spend the holiday together ... and at least my kids make cute tourists!



PS: I have way more interesting and important things to write about than our wardrobe but that requires thought and time, neither of which do I have. Because my 7 mo. old baby has decided she is done napping in the last three days so my brain is fried from hearing her screams and my homework is piled high.... if she naps - you might have something interesting to read next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I just found your blog today thanks to the lovely email you sent out. Katie had promised to email me the link earlier, but it didn't happen. Wow, what a cool tree in that first photo. I laughed at your description of your church clothes, but I'm sure that until you start going to the some church every week, other people probably won't notice.

Things are going well here at home. Mom will finish her second round of chemo tomorrow and so far she has not really gotten sick, just tired. God is so good.

I saw a little boy at Walmart today that at first glance reminded me of Jude, so I said a short prayer for all of you. Also in Cubbies, one of Alie's sections had a suggestion for the parents to talk with their children about other countries and people they knew who lived there, so when she asked me what that page said, we talked about Jude in Honduras and how neat it is that your family is obeying God by going there. I don't think there is a week that goes by when he is not mentioned in Cubbies, Sunday school or both. I pray for you every day both for protection, studies, and that you will quickly get adjusted to life there.
Love,
Tracy Mintzmyer