Monday, February 2, 2009

The day I never saw coming

So rumors have been afloat since months before I came here, that one could procure a maid for under $10 day. But what would I, an x-housekeeper - daughter of my mother - learned to scrub toilets at the age of 4, need to know about that? So the information went in one ear and out the other. Until last week, when swamped with wet clothes, infesting ants, and the impending visit of my mother my wonderful neighbor said, “I'll bring my maid over – she's great!” So, I decided that I'd give it a whirl . TOGETHER, she and I would scrub down every inch of this house with bleach and my mother would never be so proud. Then I went and got food poisoning and laid on the couch while I watched another woman scrub down every inch of my house.

My mother is going to die. It was humiliating... and I also fear more addicting than the lottery … or even gelato. She was faster than I, more thorough than I, and was wearing a mini-skirt that didn't even get dirty! She's the sweetest lady, we chatted a bit, she helped me with a bit of “household” spanish, and then after scouring my toilets she begged to come back. I told her thanks, but I think I can handle it from now on ... but I could definitely handle her coming back too. Oh what a day... what a glorious day...

I think that since I have perviously told you about the little horrors of Honduras I am going to make it my goal to now make you all green with envy... and we'll start with this: Today I had a maid and fresh mangos.

Oh yeah, and food poisoning. What a weird little wonderful life.

Next week there will be pictures... I promise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you were a trophy wife layin around with a maid for a day,GREAT just sorry you had to be sick . hope u r better now,I still think you could use the maid
luv ya