Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I should be napping...

What is it about children and naps? I would give my right eye and possibly my left leg (since it has a dozen mosquito bites already that I am just sure are Dengue fever ridden anyway) for a nap right now. But NO, Jude is laying in our bedroom screaming his lungs out because he is being forced to take the rest I so badly need. You may be asking yourself why I need a nap so bad, and I will tell you – because I am a mother. Kids don't need naps. Mom's do. Because in the last week we have had 2 Christmas celebrations, said goodbye to everyone we know and love, made a 49 hour traverse to Florida with 7 children (2 of which puke when they get in a car), flown to a foreign land, drove 4 hours to our apt. (which is beautiful but OH SO COMPLICATED), and enrolled in language school and begun our “adventures”. It has been quite physically demanding: climbing over a ½ dozen car seats every 10 minutes to reach an every important blankie, cracker, or bane-of-my-existence water bottle which contributed to a never ending need to “stop and pee,” hauling 300 lbs. of luggage (which I am proud to announce after MONTHS of packing – seems to be about adequate, and finally in the last 2 days we have walked miles on end to procure every item except a kitchen sink (including a bucket big enough to bathe 2 kids in) that we couldn't pack. But more than my utter physical exhaustion ( which I KNOW Jude shares – and which is why – thank the Lord – He just went to sleep) my emotional exhaustion is about the end of me. 

We have “slept” in 5 different places in the last week but I may have gotten 5 hours of sleep total. I wake at every noise thinking the kids must be waking and are frightened of the new surroundings... and than I spend the next hr. thinking about how the past day went and how the next day will go and he 10 million details that could go wrong. I sound like the picture of emotional health don't I. Oh and by the way – I miss you all... and it takes so much of my energy. So much, in fact that I thought a few minutes on the computer might be more resting than sleep. Does that make sense? I didn't think so... but neither does my life.

Needless to say, I have a million stories to tell... details of puke and pit stops that make me evermore amazed at the Lowery clan, but that will never be fully scribed because of my new found amazement with Honduran culture. How am I ever going to share my life with you while I am here? I don't know... week by week I guess... photo by photo... don't forget about us down here... we are doing well... God is working... somehow... we will only know in hind sight I'm sure....

Please write. I love you all.  




IMG_0562-01

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

See how living in Kansas would prepare you for Honduras? Only in these two locals would they let a mama and her baby ride in the back of a pick-up!

LOVE
sam

shelley said...

I love the picture of all of you on your trip to Florida reminds me of the Hett Hague trip to the Ozarks 50 years ago that we still talk about.Continue to make wonderful memories and I know you will continue to ask for Gods GRACE you two are great parents. We miss you but are so glad you depend on GOD not us!!! MOM

Faith Ann said...

Amanda,

I am thankful God answered prayers concerning your safety. Know you are sorely missed.:-) Send me your new e-mail address and I will keep in touch with you that way.

Your sister in Christ, Faith

Anonymous said...

how I envy you . The doors which god is opening for you continued to walk through with trust and faith. Have a wonderful exciting 2009 . We love you all

Anonymous said...

I envy you. what an adventure !continue to go through the doors which God opens for you with faith and trust. 2009 is sure to be a wonderful experience. We love you all and you are in our constant prayers .

Anonymous said...

We are glad that we were able to share the start of your journey to Honduras. We are thankful for the memories we've made with your family. We will miss you! Tell Jarod that we would do that trip again and again! :) We love you! Give the kids a big hug from their best friends! Love, The Lowerys