Wednesday, December 24, 2008

IOWA

If Christmas in Iowa with Jarod's family is not predictable I don't know what is. I've been joining them for this “traditional” gathering, whenever we can for the past 8 years. And with my erratic personality and our mobile life each year I more deeply appreciate the routine, and the comfort of the known and expected (It also gives me a renewed insight into why my husband is the stable man that he is). Now that I know what to expect, this year's 8 hour drive to Iowa was ALL that I knew it would be. There was:

Grandma Mary: The matriarch of the family, who, is managing a farm all by herself and greets our noisy arrival after days of hurried preparation.IMG_0511


Farm. Each year something breaks or has been broken for months but Grandma Mary in her frugility has done without until some in-law or grandson comes along with a few tools and few hours on their hands. This year it was faucets and bathtubs....


Ping pong... I don't know, I don't play... but someone always is... for days straight... and they start 'em young.

IMG_0504


Snow (in large amounts which caused much discussion and slight worrying about pipes, roads, etc... like every year... but plenty of inspiration for the smallest guests to venture out in -20 wind chill.)

IMG_0498


Food (I could predict the menu 2 months in advance but NO ONE can predict just exactly how much sugar I can consume if it is laid in front of me for 3 days straight.) Next year, another in-law and I are going to do hourly blood sugar tests on ourselves and chart the damage. (We have this EXACT picture of me last year - except last year I was debating over which cookie to eat - this year I have a second waiting in the wing...)

IMG_0481


Cousins. I guess this is why we go... all of us making the long journey to a town in nowhere U.S.A. For several days which revolve around the kitchen and the bad weather... so the cousins can know each other... and know where they are from... so that they can grow up to be stable, predictable, and consistent people... just like Jarod.

IMG_0505


Speaking of consistent – check out our children … we are pretty consistent, don't you think?  

IMG_0525

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I lust after seeing more of the pics of Lucy's photo session.