Thursday, May 13, 2010

Good Day




It's been a stormy week at 703 Fort; not only in weather but emotions. But today, we had a good day. After a late night freak out session by me pouring over receipts and an even later night hauling off of our second refrigerator because “the cat pee smell” just wouldn't go away – we were in deep need of a good day.
So, when the alarm went off this morning I rolled over and prayed my favorite prayer of all time... “help me, help me, help me, we can't do this alone.” He knew that, and had the perfect help lined up. Dad spent his third morning in a row here and by noon he and Jarod had the impossible microwave mounted and I had the final boxes unpacked. During the late afternoon I received a phone call from the local SEARS guy that we had been anonymously gifted a refrigerator and I should come pick one out before 7 p.m. While I was still crying on the phone to the SEARS guy (His job isn't much like the flower delivery girl and I am not sure he knew what to do with a happy sobbing lady), I got a call from a friend saying she wanted to help us get a fridge. I gathered myself together enough and humbled myself enough to say, “Well, we were just given a fridge – but would you like to help us pay for the window AC for the girls upstairs?” And she did. Our credit card will thank her – as will Seon Jin, Jessie and Ma Lina!
If that weren't enough; a friend dropped everything to pick up our fridge, a stranger walking down the sidewalk stopped to help us bring it in the house, my dad stopped by with dinner, I stopped to get the mail and found a check from our home warranty company that covered the electrical work, and our energy bill that somehow credited us $7.82, and Jarod's mom brought over a coffee pot and 5 lbs. of delicious Honduran coffee.
Now that is a good day. And the best part is – we are learning – to be patient and just say “thank you” -and that it will all be ok (but I'll probably freak out a few more times just cause I can).

Like super skinny people on TV – “before and after” shots in home remodeling are optical illusions. HGTV is of the devil and real life has no stop action wallpaper peeling or electrical work (although a fridge donation could be like something off of one of those shows). So here is the Before and “the beginning of after” kitchen shots... there will be more of this room and others... as they finish... and as the kids graduate from high school – whichever comes first.