Monday, September 15, 2008

To be expected

If more of life was as predictable as a State Fair I would be in good shape. My parents graciously took and paid for our entire family to go on a 2-day excursion to the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson (about a 2 1/2 hr drive). This is something I had done with all of the men a few times before and I knew what to expect. And we got all that we anticipated.

Two fairiswheels, a 1000 ft slipper slide, a magic show, a giant butter sculpture, hundreds of enormous rabbits and chickens, a 648 lb pumpkin, a hypnotist, a train ride, a display of baked goods, canned goods, and quilts that made me wish all over again that I had some kind of domestic capabilities, an amazing petting zoo, a 100 year old water ride that was condemned and then reopened (without any repairs being made) because of public outcry (it’s Kansas –safety comes LAST), pig races (in the rain of course), Lucy blowing out a diaper through three layers of clothes and me not having a change of clothes for her (of course), fried cheese, a frozen banana on a stick dipped in chocolate, funnel cake, fried catfish, fried chicken strips, outrageous prices, and ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen. Hmmmm, take that back, if life were more like the state fair I wouldn’t be in great shape… I’d way 1000 lbs.

But never mind, because we knew what to expect… because we knew that a state fair with 2 small children (one who ended up naked and one on a 3 day sugar high) and 4 mentally handicapped men (one with a broken arm and one who prefers nothing more than to ride rides and eat until he pukes) was going to be… well - exactly what it was… it was fun.

PIG RACES IN THE RAIN



MONKEY TAIL: FROZEN CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANA ON A STICK



FRIED CHEESE CURDS STRAIGHT FROM WISCONSIN



HEY - WASN'T SHE IN THIS POSE LAST WEEK?

1 comment:

The Tarka Family said...

Let me just GUESS who wanted to ride all the rides and eat until they puked!!