Monday, September 22, 2008

Plethora Problem

Ok. So there is definitely sometimes too much of a good thing. Maybe never in any other time or place in history has it been so true as it is in America today… specifically my house. Last week I went through all of our closets because, “we had nothing to wear.” I was hoping to figure out what I needed to buy but instead I found that I just needed to get rid of 67 gallons (trash bag approximation) of clothing of wrong size, season, or that was poorly laundered one too many times (go me). How? Our house is 900 sq. ft with proportionately small closets. And I don’t shop! Where did it all come from? AND HOW ON EARTH CAN WE STILL HAVE FULL CLOSETS??


Then today I went to my garden to deal with something I had been dreading for weeks. The peppers. What, pray tell, is one person to do with this many peppers?
Now I love peppers (obviously… I planted 9 different varieties). But as I was planning my menus of chili rellenos, stuffed bell peppers, and veggie fajitas for this week, Jarod firmly reminded me that he does not like peppers. To which Jude chimed in, “Me neither.” I’m nursing… poor… poor Lucy… My peppers have a high average heat index. And this is a small fraction of what is left in the garden.

Speaking of Lucy. We have this plethora of unattractive pictures from a Friday night photo shoot (that she was SO NOT into).




And I have decided that she is either an ugly baby or really unphotogenic, but I don’t care because she is the SWEETEST baby on earth… and sleeping through the night… and sleep is one thing I don’t think I can get too much of at this point.

All this to say: I think most things are amusing in large quantities (like really large tubs of Mayo… that’s hilarious.. or peppers... or ugly baby pictures... I'm cracking up) … and I hope you have been as amused by my abundance as I have. I’m off to string Thai chilies…. by the mile…

3 comments:

The Tarka Family said...

What about canning salsa? I bet you (or someone you know) has too many tomatoes and you can collaborate with the peppers and make a huge batch of salsa. You could also just dice and can the peppers, couldn't you?

I vote that Lucy was just unphotogenic and very expressive. Those eyes tell all.

Anonymous said...

my peppers didn't do anything this summer! i think the weather was too cool?? who knows.
last year i diced and froze a bunch to add to chili... Jarod will never know they're in there.

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know in the USA that grew Thai chillies and I am very excited since I am making a whole bunch of Thai food tonight! Of course, Dillons and WalMart don't sell Thai chilies. You could always put up a sign in those stores for those who like to cook meals that don't come in a box! :) Sommer