Monday, September 8, 2008

Becoming a woman

So Lucy went on her first women’s retreat this weekend. My mom was there too… three generations of the very strong-willed female persuasion. And I thought a lot about having a little girl.

I don’t know how to do hair… and I will never be capable of it. I hate shopping and it gets more intense each year. How is that gonna work as this little girl grows up? Will she be like me in this regard or will she run to every other woman she knows to get some help with her hair and some good old “mall time”. How do I let her be “her” and respect our differences when I am morally opposed to the woman who is obsessed with her looks over her brain and who shops despite an over abundance at home? And how will she learn to let me be "me" when even my best friends think I am a prime candidate for "What Not to Wear." ?

But even worse than, “what if we are different?” is… “what if we are alike?”

Oh Lord, may she only mirror my good characteristics and may she please sleep through all of her teen years. I am not strong enough to survive otherwise…


The troop



Lucy: after 32 hours with the troop and 10 hours in a car seat... you would make that face too!


Speaking of shopping - someone gave her this little "American Girl" onesie (That was OF COURSE made in THAILAND) and I thought about not letting her wear it, and then I thought... well she is an American girl and so am I... our closets prove it - and the first step to recovery is admittance :).


And speaking of 3 generations... yesterday we took our last lake run so I could ski YEAH!! and it was freezing - but worth it... maybe just so I could take this picture because my body is HATING me for skiing.

No comments: