Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Hobby

Some Work (and great workers!!!!):






Some Fun:








In the last two weeks - somewhere between scrubbing and staining the basement floors, pull off a huge garage sale in 105 weather, depositing the over $1000(!), recovering from my worst sunburn in years, throwing 2 birthday parties, going to the lake, having our air conditioner break, suffering from nightmares about NOT finishing the basement by August 15 (which looks like it is a reality), and taking the kids to Toy Story and to library I have picked up an AWFUL hobby.
The hobby of NOT reading- reading books is a very dangerous thing - I believe it it the source of a lot of pain, suffering and miscommunication throughout history - not to mention the source of really BAD doctrine, and some horribly misrepresented recipes. But it is so easy to do.
You want to read, you are at the library - so you pick a book and skim, half chapters here and end notes there- then you are out of time - and probably in 2 months I will have convinced myself I read the whole thing - and be telling you all about it with passion - and really not having a clue what is going on. I have not read books on cosmology, African politics, communication, and the Salem witch trials this month. I should really just get a magazine - they are so nicely divided into bedtime reading segments... but none spark my interest (and to be painfully honest I have a weird aversion to reading anything on a page 8X10 or larger or from a screen - which explains my painful lack of knowledge of current events.)
All this to say, if I claim to have "read" something any time soon - ask me the context... and if I hand you a book with highlighted sections - please send me to rehab. Jarod has this book in our personal library called "How to Read a Book"... neither of us have ever read it... but I am pretty sure this isn't how it is done. But I shall continue until my life slows down... which sadly means I may never read a book again. My life is full. I wouldn't trade it for the world - but I would add an extra 4 hours to each day if possible... just for really reading.

P.S. Next week I am really going to try to upload some videos of Lucy... at 2 she is more than I can handle. Today at the lake the wind really started blowing and as she stood in the surf screaming, "STOP IT, STOP IT, NO MORE!!!" to the increasing storm, I thought of Christ calming the storm with His words and then mused, "Well. that's about right - we start trying to play God at about 2, and continue in frustration and ineffectualness until grace intervenes." Intervene dear Lord... because we haven't a clue.

No comments: