Wednesday, March 17, 2010

He turned 5

It really is something I should blog about. Some milestone. But I guess he IS 5. It has taken only 5 years for his absurd growth and constant changes in perspective to become “everyday” to me. Sad in a way but comforting to know that we get along in such a nondramatic kinda way.
Although I detest the fact he changes his obsessions as often as I get around to reminding him to change his underwear, I love the kid. One day it is superheros, then it is star wars – always falling completely pray to the winds of consumerism - though I know not how. He is the child that wants yogurt if it has SpongBob printed on it – string cheese with Shreck – and anything violent. He is the kid that bombards me with the questions of “Who do you want to be?” before my eyes are all the way open in the morning. “Who do you want to be?” “Spiderman or batman?” “Buzz or Woody” “or Evil Emperor Zurg?” “Luke Skywaker or Darthvader” “Iron man or a ninja?”
I adore his vivid imagination and quick wit. I admire his intelligence and tenacity. I love his independent spirit. But he will not be who I want him to be. Long gone are the days that I thought we could form him and that he would comply. I am no longer under the illusion that we can protect him (Last week in children's church he was the kid that yelled “Boobies” as the answer to something that started with the letter B.) He probably doesn't want to learn Spanish, or be into Science and Cross country. He will never be EXACTLY who I would have hoped. But I will love him anyway. And he will love me anyway, because he knows who I really want to be... everyday – His mama.



His favorite position - costumed, wrestling with Izaac



His first soccer practice was on his birthday



Grandpa Bob is to be blamed for all Star Wars issues




If you had bet me five years ago I would be saying something along the lines of "Jude I am your MOTHER" in a Darthvader
voice several times a day - you could have won some big money.

No comments: