Sunday, February 7, 2010

The stay-at-home mom that wasn't

So with a job and now a car – our life is looking a bit more settled these days. But strange. Over 2 years ago I started this blog with the title of “Chronicles of a Non-Desperate Housewife” - and really we've kept faithfully along that vain. Whether here or Honduras – that is what I do – keep house and care for kids. Until recently.
Do you realize how difficult (or should I say pointless) the life of a housewife is – without the HOUSE part of things? Here is an illustration:

These are my fingernails. They are all the same length. That has never happened in my life. Ever.


My mother-in-law attributes it to her dishwasher. I am thinking it is the direct result of doing nothing for a month and a half. No garden, no “fix-it” projects, no REAL housekeeping (let's face it I was a much better housekeeper before I had kids and then moving to a developing country where the rest of my mom-friends” had dirt floors really lowered the bar.) I try to be helpful, I really do – but with 4 adults and 2 kids, and a very clean and spacious relatively new house I am thinking I might just deserve a lay off.
But then of course we have the children. They still need me right? After several comments made by my progeny this week I am considering getting a more predictable and civil contributing career – say – as a McDonald's fry cook. As a fry cook you just know the worst you do in a day is contribute to obesity – whereas I am beginning to wonder if I am creating young consumerist assassins.

4 year old in stoic voice, “I only like things that shoot, stab, cut, blow things up, or kill. That's all I like.”
4 year old in whiny voice after his first ride in our nice new car, “Why didn't you get a Cadillac? That's what I really wanted.”
1 year old after a spanking - “you's meeaaaann.”
1 year old to every other child who happens to be holding a toy - “mIne”
1 year old to the three cats she lives with - “meeoooww” “kitty” - pull hair – run away – laugh. A million times a day.

Yeah... I'd fire me – just sayin'...

No comments: