Saturday, February 20, 2010

Life Lessons

In eighth grade I would run giddily toward the school door as soon as the bell rang - however if I saw my grandmother’s car I would skid to a halt dreading the moment I slunk into the front seat and heard her pointed question, “What did you learn today?” I knew I had to think of something fast, because she was not a woman that would accept the adolescent shrug of “nothing.” No, I knew all too well the lecture that came after that word.
“Amanda, you learn something every day. If you don’t, your life is not worth living - and I would hate to think you are so lazy that you wouldn’t be willing to at least open an encyclopedia and start reading. There is so much to learn - you are either arrogant, lazy or not paying attention. I suggest you pull out an encyclopedia before dinner.”
So I got creative - anything became a lesson - thank you Grandma. I do learn something every day. And the other day I thought while I’m not doing much interesting in life I should just daily blog about some random thing I learned. For example - last Tuesday, it became quite clear to me that while those cute long sleeve shirts with the thumb holes may be incredibly comfy and stylish - they are completely ridiculous while changing a poopy diaper. Just in case you were wondering.


I learned that you can in fact please “all the people all the time” if the people are under five and the meal is PB & J.
You know that eight grade algebra about exponential growth? It could actually come in handy when figuring how much preparation time is needed when getting 10 kids ready to go to the park. 1 child 5 minutes - but 10 takes more than an hour - somehow. I wish I could remember the equation.



Girls WILL accessorize.



Brothers need each other.

The lessons are small - but ya’ know they could be important.

Most lessons are annoying to learn. Like the melt down Jude had after entering Walmart and perusing the toy isles. He quietly began to whimper as we left saying - “I just can’t DECIDE what I want for my birthday - the Star wars helmet or that transformer car.”

“Well, that is fine Jude, it isn’t up to you. You may not get either.”

“But I want them both SOOOO BAD.” And the tears welled up in my boy's eyes making my usually joyous son so obviously MISERABLE with desire.

“Jude, I am so sorry we came and saw the toys; you were so happy before you saw them.”

“I know mom - because I didn’t even know they EXISTED.”

Well, isn’t that about how it goes? Sorry Jude - you learn something everyday.

A half an hour later he apologized for being so sad. But we know it will happen again. Learning to be fulfilled in all the blessings one has been given instead of wallowing in despair over the things just beyond our grasp is a lesson that you re-learn almost every day.

1 comment:

Andrea Bernard said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminders ;) . Could you give me a call when you get a chance or let me know where/when to call you soon? Thanks. Love you all lots!