Monday, May 19, 2008

Summer upon me…

As I planted my peas this year I knew what to expect – for them to shrivel and die by a sudden heat wave … none-the-less summer is shocking my system. One week ago we had a hard freeze and consistently cold weather – this week every day it is forecasted to be above 90. I don’t know how one is suppose to garden in these conditions – and more urgently I don’t know how one is suppose to sleep in these conditions – and even more urgently I don’t know how one is supposed to sleep while pregnant when I must adjust from a 60 degree house to a 82 degree bedroom all in one week.
Now, we have suggested an attic fan to the landlord (to which she replied, “Oh I guess that would be a good idea – although my grandmother did just fine without it and I lived without air-conditioning or attic fan through all of my pregnancies and hung cloth diapers on the line.” Ahh, thank you for the guilt trip… as if I don’t feel wimpy enough … in fact I wrote a whole theology of pregnancy on how humbling the experience is if anyone would like a copy.) Anyway, another friend also suggested wearing wool sweaters until it hits 100 – that way anything over 101 you can just shed layers. Or, she thought perhaps I should just wet a sheet and wrap myself in it – at least that is how they cool off in all of the arid climates around the world that can afford no luxuries. Yes, I know I need more pampering than 99.999999% of all pregnant women who have ever lived.
Over all I just lay in bed itching (I think maybe a weird pregnancy symptom), uncomfortable (a normal symptom), hot, and getting up to pee every 2 hours just to make sure I get no sleep… thankfully my girlfriends and I just finished a very inspiring book on intercessory prayer… so I pray for people while I lay awake at night… and sadly that puts me right to sleep. (So if you have prayer requests feel free to send them my way and if you have any more “wonderful” ideas on how to “enjoy” a pregnant summer – you can keep those to yourself.)


In other news this week my friend Circle came back from San Francisco for her college graduation and to be baptized – a super cool thing!


(Circle with all of the kids she has purchased Chinese garb for)

Jarod and Jude got a ticket because apparently it is illegal to have a kid ride a motorcycle in front of you (only on the back)(This is not written anywhere so we are just wanting to make it common knowledge for anyone else interested in getting their kid on a bike. And for all of you that have been praying for Jude's safety - a prayer has been answered - it just cost a pretty penny).

(Preparing for a ride on the motorcycle... one of his last until he is 10!)

And the picnics have continued… so much so that I have decided to keep a running tally this summer and as of right now the picnic/potluck count is 8 (5 of which included hot dogs).


(Just a cute photo of Jude and some friends helping mom plant corn in their garden)

1 comment:

The Tarka Family said...

Oh that motorcycle!! Yes, I've been praying for Jude's safety - no surprise... I've also been wondering since your last entry, but bit my tongue until the motorcycle came up again... Did you REALLY ride a motorcycle while you were 7 months pregnant??? SERIOUSLY AMANDA!!!!

Oh another note - I'd LOVE a copy of your theology of pregnancy paper.

I think keeping longer layers on until it gets really super hot is a good strategy. The turks did it. I don't think you need to wear wool, though, that may be over the top. Maybe just try a long sleeve cotton shirt or just two thin layers and when it turns to 100 go with short sleeves or a tank. Drinking hot liquids helps because it makes you sweat. In turkey, I did sleep with a wet sheet on me and fan blowing on me. It felt kind of gross at first, but then it was also such a relief and felt pretty good! The sheet was always dry by morning. crazy.

*al