Friday, January 18, 2013

Editor's Commentary


Jarod is posting our “2012” year video to facebook. 1 minute for every month. We have been doing this for 8 years. I dreaded doing it this year because – to be honest – it hasn't been my favorite year. I was NOT the director – nor am I ever (which can seriously get me bummed sometimes). Just the editor. And as the editor - I have a few comments as you watch our life unfold.

  1. The first picture in the video is a photo I took years ago of my cousin Nic planting a flower with his mom. The song I chose is one that I have looped in my van and my brain since Jan. 2nd when He died. We read this quote last night and it reminded us of our inner dealings as we sat and stared at the year on a timeline,“Optimism and Hope are radically different attitudes. Optimism is the expectation that things – weather, human relationships, the economy, the political situation, and so on – will get better. Hope is the trust that God will fulfill God's promises to us in a way that leads us to true freedom. The optimist speaks about concrete changes in the future. The person of Hope lives in the moment with the knowledge and trust that all of life is in good hands.” - Henri Nouwen
  2. As Jarod and I failed so many times and ways in our lives with international students, our family, and Bethesda this year, it was easy to feel overwhelmed. But as I looked at the fullness of our lives, I was reminded of what my cousin Jeff always said when I was learning to water ski “like a man.” He said, “When you stop falling you know you are done learning.” At 30 my goal in water skiing is now NOT to fall – not to improve. I hope we never get to that point in life. In Christ we are righteous, therefore Prov 24: 16 applies, “for though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again.” We have fallen SO MUCH this year... we have to have learned a TON.
  3. International friends take more pictures than our American friends. Our white friends matter – and 2013 will contain a photo shoot of them. Also, my mom is getting crazy good with her I-pad so I think I'm covered.
  4. Jude's imaginative obsession moved from Star Wars to Indian Jones to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings this year. Praise be to God and Jude's father that we are finally into some literature that we can parent from. (Not to say we didn't have a million 'dark side' conversations.)
  5. Finally, I am a little bit of a legalist which means: I will do this video thing every year – no matter what. 2. Because it is so beneficial to us to sit and contemplate our year I think every set of parents should be forced to make one. :) I'd love to see yours.

    So, “here is to Hope in 2013”... but mostly - here's to the Lord Jesus Christ who makes hope possible... 

    P.S.  I HATE "Gungnam style" but it is sadly a huge part of our lives right now.

No comments: