Tuesday, August 10, 2010

End of Summer

Apparently we have never in 9 years of marriage (that's right 9 years tomorrow) actually needed a vacation. Sure we have gone to visit people, to explore, to have an adventure - but never to "get away." But tomorrow we leave for Colorado for an end of summer camping trip and Megan and Paul's wedding - and homeownership has brought the joys of "getting away" to a whole new level. I am so excited that when Jude woke me up at 6 a.m. this morning to say, "we are late you said we would leave early." I wanted to just leave right then. We have the fishing pole, bat and baseball mitt, hiking shoes, sleeping bags and enough junk food to ENSURE cavities packed and by the back door. Three days in temperatures below 100 with my 3 favorite people in the world... all to be topped off by a wedding at a haunted hotel on Friday the 13th. Who could ask for more?
Actually, the only thing I may be looking forward to more than getting away is the "getting back" after a few days of refreshing. This last week my cousin Luke came and spent the night - and we had a GUEST ROOM. My mom had a party for my Aunt Vonda and as Jessie and Marrina squeezed into our car with the kids... I thought "We are going to need a minivan... and this is going to be awesome." The students have invited friends over for dinner - Joan and Bob got home from an amazing trip to Alaska and showed a slide show on Jarod's big screen - and ....... I STAINED THE FLOORS. We should have paint in the basement by the end of August! There are so many beautiful things going on right now in my life I feel like I should just stop and say a prayer of thanks.
"Thank you God for all the people who fill our house... for kids to babysit... for students to learn from... for an amazing husband and abundant laughter... for family who does more than "pitch in"... and a community we want to be a part of... and mostly right now thank you that the floors are pretty."
I'm shallow - I know - but my floors are pretty and I have been waiting for this since Memorial day.
How was your summer?

No comments: