Saturday, January 9, 2010

Future memories

This entry has little to do with anyone else – but I have come to realize that all forms of journaling are gone from my life but this blog. If it isn't recorded here, it is lost in the abyss of my retched (and I do not use that term lightly – right girls?) memory.
So in 5 years this what I want to remember about this week.
We tried to send my parents on a spur of the moment vacation to Cozumel but it was spoiled by the stomach flu. ALWAYS BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE.
The stomach flu then moved day by day through Chrissy, Lucy, me, dad, david, mark, Joan, Jay, BJ, Katie, Jude... and others are waiting in fear, having witnessed the most sever retching of the decade.
Lucy is becoming amazing – chitter-chatter, reading books with us (finally), wooing everyone with her charm and when that doesn't work – demands. I swear she gets smarter and more social by the day. More unpredictable and exciting.
Jude is just pretty much watching TV and playing video games. I hope there is a season for everything. And some of them are short seasons.
I have had one-on-one chats for over 20 hours this week with friends and family far and near – and I am starting to feel “connected” again (“Catching up” at this point could qualify as a part time job.) Oh yeah, if I got paid.... how could we make that happen?? :)
Until that pans out - Jarod will continue the job search thing.... which is the first way I know he loves us.... 'cause I hate applying for jobs – especially if it involves a federal government internet application with more than 3 passwords and 14 steps.
The second way I know he loves me is by planning the most amazing retreat for us at Wilson lake – in a cute little cabin – with a plethora of my favorite foods, games, movies and books. The grandparents took on the kids – even a Dr. appointment and I was totally surprised and totally relaxed.
So this is a good way to start the year – after 40 hours of one-on-one relaxation – we figure we are starting 2010 with 5 times the bonding time as we had in all of 2009.
Bring it on – I am starting to feel prepared for whatever happens next.... (that's gonna come back to bite me isn't it?)

Oh – and in case I wonder in 5 years how we were doing all this financially – let's just say that living with the parents is highly humbling but super financially efficient. But future me – Don't think about it as a longterm savings plan.

My mom just sprinkled an entire box of baking soda on the carpet to keep the puke smells at bay. In Honduras the woman bought their baking soda by the tablespoon and when they saw my box – couldn't believe that such an extravagance existed. I never told them about this particular ritual – nor the open boxes of baking soda we place in the fridge.

My dad is explaining the inner warfare of the human immune system to Jude – who appreciates the anatomy lesson given in Braveheart style – as well as the continual assurance that his side will win – and that perhaps the casualties will be cleared by Sunday school tomorrow morning.

So there is my diary today for future me: you gave your life an A.... your handling of it a B.... work on gratitude, grace and patience.

No comments: