Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Beautiful people the world over

I'm a slow learner - but I'm getting this figured out. Three months before we left Portland, five years ago, I figured out that I was leaving the best people in the world – to fulfill our dream of world travel. And I did – I left the best friends anyone could ask for. But we met amazing people in Europe. The best – the most hospitable, generous hearts anyone could ever cross paths with. Then last year, 3 months before we left Hays – after 3 years of being home – I realized that I was leaving the most amazing friends and church family any family had ever had. I realized that my son would never replace the friends he had shared his first years of life with. And now, as we leave Urraco for ten days and my house floods with people to say good bye, give hugs, wish us well and a quick return; as I am overwhelmed by chores hurried betweens children's chatter and adolescent soccer games – I realize that the world is full of beautiful people. In every corner, up every river, wherever it may be - the world holds billions of souls holding the image of God and the potential for friendships that transform the soul. We have found a home in Urraco because we have found people to share it with. And as I look at the calender to our expected end of "the Honduras experiment" in December – the only thing that makes the thought of another “leaving” bearable is the thought that we will always be 'home' – if we will open our hearts. So beautiful people, faithful to read this and love us... meet your neighbors.


One beautiful person will be leaving us soon... and perhaps a hammock will be empty in the evenings – or perhaps his friends will continue to fill our evenings with laughter.



Three of the 7 boys who visit our house almost daily – looking for work, or someone to swim with, play UNO, or simply get a few hugs, laughs and stare at the different ways of doing things.



The ladies from my Thursday afternoon Bible Study... mostly missionaries from down the mountain – some of which have already left after a summer term... some of whom will leave me shortly.


The director of our public school who has continued to open the doors to students in spite of threats from the union and a lack of support from almost anyone and everyone in power. But the students keep coming so she keeps giving classes.



David and Olga... a blog unto themselves.



A group of students from the public school.... so many stories – so much joy.


Dru with some of his teenage friends... they taught him how to work, how to play soccer, how to say – who knows what in Spanish... and they taught us all to laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will happily welcome back the beautiful person that you have invested your lives into this summer.
Those that shared the first few years with Jude will never replace him either, let me tell you they are LOYAL!
Thank you for risking and sharing your heart in Portland, Europe, and Honduras. Thank you most for sharing it with our family in Hays.
Love you so much! The Lowerys :)