Monday, October 20, 2008

tagged

I was tagged by Alison … is this how it goes?

20 years ago I was in Kindergarten and had just met my lifelong friends Katie and Renee. My mother had to tell my teacher that it was fine for me to be left handed since she kept trying to make me switch. And I kissed a little boy with red hair named John.



10 years ago I was getting to know my husband… ok that is weird. People shouldn’t meet their husbands at 15 but I did. And I’m glad.





5 years ago I had been married and in Portland 2 years. It amazes me how quick Portland became our home… maybe the newly wed thing did it, or our amazing friends and school and church and millions of ministry opportunities or maybe we were from there in a different life… maybe we’ll go back there in a different life.




(oh yeah and 5 years ago we had JUST gotten back from the best vacation to Hawaii with my parents)



3 years ago today I was here in Bavaria.. don’t you wish you were me?

(Yes this is me hanging over a 200 foot cliff with a baby... not a good idea... won't happen with baby #2)



1 year ago today I think I had just found out I was pregnant… I don’t know, because I don’t journal… not even the important stuff and I have a retched memory, so a year ago toady I may or may not have know about Lucy. (I am really wishing my 90 some year old Aunt Iva had a blog so she could do this ‘cause she journals every day. EVERY DAY. And she has a better memory than me .


(oh, and apparently according to I-photo, a year ago today – Jarod carved this cool pumpkin of Jude and we were getting ready to go to the circus.. so much for Bavaria).



Yesterday I dug the most pathetic crop of sweet potatoes ever. Oh it was sad.


But I did pick these delicious things…. Again… Don’t you wish you were me?



I also watched my husband polish and drool over his motorcycle as he FINALLY placed the seat on it… I think we have a café racer folks.


Today I bathed. And that is good because, people, I was smelling a little ripe (I think from digging ALL those potatoes (or maybe from nursing… I think I smell worse when I am breastfeeding – is that possible?). Anyway, I bathed and shaved… while Jude was at music class with my mom (thanks mom). I also just let Lucy suck on my nose –which is gross for both of us – but somehow quite a bonding experience. Oh and I unwrapped the senior print order I got in the mail and I'm an awesome photographer or they are just good looking kids. Oh and I am also avoiding 5 loads of laundry and ignoring the spider-man in the living room playing trains.

Tomorrow hmmmm… well we will see, but the plan is to go to the library and then out to my parents and attempt to get my 92 year old Alzheimered grandmother into my car to go back to aunt and uncle’s house. Lord Jesus have mercy. Then we will attempt to take family pictures… so yeah, you can pray for me tomorrow… that would be good.

Next week I should probably winterize the garden and do something with 10,000 green tomatoes. I should organize and plan and contact people for our move. I should bath more frequently. I should pack for my trip to NC to see healthy baby Wyatt- yeah! I should update my blog heading to include my poor daughter. That is what I should do, but what I am sure I will do is play with trains, feed a baby, and do another 5 loads of laundry.

Next year… ok, now 10 years ago I would have had a huge list of ideas and goals. However, an unexpected husband, 2 unexpected children, unexpected daily experience in housewifery in Hays, Ks and a horribly unexpected pathetic crop of sweet potatoes has taught me to expect NOTHING. Because as soon as I tell you my plans for next year – they wouldn’t happen. But this I know. No matter where I am, no matter what I am doing, I am sure to be learning the lessons I need to learn, and I am sure to be with people God wants me to love. This is the definition of both sovereignty and grace.

I tag Jessica P. Sam R. and CA RN. Have fun…. (Oh and you don’t have to add pictures… I just happened to be going through old photos last week and thought it’d be fun... but it wasn't - it was miserable )

3 comments:

The Tarka Family said...

I just KNOW you wrote the part about the cliff for me! Just looking at that picture makes me feel giddy.

Question: who LET you hang over a cliff with Jude?

Comment: I went to the Grotto the other day and I had nightmares that night that I took Jillian and she fell off the cliff.

Are you going to shave your head again before Honduras?

Anonymous said...

I love this post. That first pic is such a classic. We should have posed like that every year of our life together so then we could put them together in a cartoon way. The second pic I hadn't seen for many years. Boy, ms. switzer was kooky and fun!

Unknown said...

What a cool post! I'll take your tag - but will have to do it in a few days as I have my post for today :-)