Monday, October 27, 2008

"My inbox is a toilet...

… and that’s why our country’s in the crapper.”

This is the first thought that flooded my half-conscience mind last week as I lay in bed watch Jarod complete his morning ‘informational-download’ ritual at the computer which sits at the end of our bed.
And here is why my inbox is a toilet. THE ELECTION. Now, don’t feel bad if you have sent me political propaganda over the last few months. I understand – it was necessary – you are passionate and that is admirable. And really, since I refuse to be involved in any proactive way I have placed myself in this sewage position.
But here is what I have concluded on this – the day I will vote. The election, my friends, is not about the candidates – it is about us. The thought that the act of voting is our highest responsibility as citizens of this globe is high on the laundry-list-of-lies that we the American people have bought into. This lie has bred, as far as I can tell, only three attitudes. Apathy, cynicism, and FEAR.
This is my pep-talk to myself against all three (because my schizophrenic self harbors them all) as I prepare to vote.

Apathy:
Timothy 2:1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
I really have no right to complain about those in leadership because the amount of time I spend in prayer for them is PATHETIC. (Yes, even comparable to the sweet potatoes of last week!). Well, it is pretty hard to pray for people I know nothing about. I mean, sure I am spectator to as much mud slinging as everyone else –but I wouldn’t want people to pray for me based on biased gossip. As I was rousing myself from a long bout of political apathy I made a search for such nonpartisan information to which I met blank stares from those I asked and more cyber sewage. But alas I long for excuses and someone to blame for my disobedience and apathy.

Cynicism:
Daniel 2:21 He [God] changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
Even greater than my apathy for the political situation is my cynicism toward the entire system. I have a bad attitude. Yeah, that definitely drives the apathy. But this is ironic since I call myself a Christian. Christians are supposed to have HOPE, and as near as I can tell that is pretty antithetical to cynicism of a system that God is clearly going to work through to somehow bring about God’s glory and eternal good (no matter who wins.)

Fear:

1 Peter 3:13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

1 John 4:17-19 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
We love because he first loved us.


Where’s the love? I don’t know… I ain’t feelin’ the love. Oh and Ooppppsss… nobody has been asking me lately to give a reason for my ‘hope’…. Maybe it is because I have been giving off that cynical-apathetic vibe … or maybe that fear vibe like every other person who speaks to me about this election. Here’s the deal folks, God isn’t asking me to have ‘hope’ in any candidate. He has already sent a Messiah and that Messiah is suppose to be working in ME. And He never works through fear or hatred… EVER. So I pretty much think we have sent D.C. up a creek without a paddle and they are going to be frozen in fear and hatred and won’t get anything done no matter who is elected. It matters today HOW I vote much more than WHO I vote for. And it matters much more what WE DO in the 1400 days after we elect our president than in the 4 minutes it takes to cast a ballet. We are much more free to BE THE CHANGE we want in this world than an entangled bought-out politician is. You want clean air? You want to save babies? You want global health care? You want to stop war? Don’t wait for D.C. to make it happen… they are so stuck in boxes that the organic matter of my brain is starting to feel like a cubist art form! I’ve got some ideas on how we all ought to make this stuff happen…. They are WAY out of the box…. Oh and I am way out of time.

But on a final note – there is no room for pride in a voting booth, so maybe we could all use a prayer like Daniel before we cast our ballets… because we all made this mess together. (Daniel 9:4-19)

Happy hopeful voting and I will see you on the other side … where the real change begins!

Oh and by the way... this campaign started before this kiddo was born...

and if we keep up this ridiculous rhetoric we are more likely to have a civil war by the time she graduates high school than we are to either overturn Roe V. Wade or have Universal health care.... sorry Kinzie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's funny - being in a different country and seeing the campaign from here, seeing what's being shown on TV or in the paper - it's honestly very eye-opening. Now, I am one to believe that voting is an imperative act and benefit of being in the country we live in - maybe that comes from now living in a country that is filled with corruption and scandal on every level. I've already voted via absentee, and have instilled into my daughter the importance of voting. From the time she was old enough to know what was going on, I would make her her own "ballot" and bring it with us to the voting poles. No, she wouldn't vote on president, or VP, or the local school district - she would vote on things like where we would go to eat that day, which would be the next book to read, and what was for desert that night. However, to know that she DOES have a voice, and her opinion (at times) DOES count I feel is important. We fall under the authority of our God first and foremost, our husband secondly, but indeed, we fall under the authority of our nation and our nations leaders. Give to Caesar what is Caesars, and to God what is God's.