Thursday, November 27, 2014

thanksgiving

I’m a slow processor in the body of a woman always in a hurry.  And today I have the stomach flu. This thanksgiving day. This day to process every gift given us, on all those other days when I am too hurried to notice. And I sit and listen to my sweet husband struggling to make six pies while the youngest runs around licking batteries and the boy begs, “Can’t we please make a whole pie of maraschino cherries? - are you SURE it would cost $35.00?” 
And I laugh.  I laugh that tomorrow I will be well and their shenanigans and his habits will somehow annoy me, while today I long to be a part of it all. I laugh at the footsteps I hear upstairs and doors banging downstairs… of people in my house - once strangers and foreigners… now friends who I do life with - if I take the time.  And my family - out-laws - in -laws - mother- father- men-of-my-heart, from a distance and those who somehow find their way into my living room every-single-day of the week. Who last week I was bemoaning the simple reality that time spreads too thin to reach them all on one holiday… and now today - I see no one. Quarantined for a mere instant - one little day - because He knows I am a slow processor.  Today I miss their faces - the hubbub… because it takes me all day to sit here and mull over how wonderful this gift of my life really is.

This is where you say, “SHUT UP!”  anytime I begin to complain about anything from here on out…. ok?? 
Thank you.
Happy Thanksgiving.


Scripture notes:
48 give thanks - most have to do with His “unfailing love”
6 - thankful
30 - thanksgiving - I love how in the Old Testament this was often someone’s whole vocation :)
I never knew Colossians was such a thankful book.

Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.

give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

In no particular order:

I am thankful for Jay and his baby lamb! Her name may or may not be "Easter Dinner"

This guy learned to drive... and we didn't even DIE!!

our chickens may not be the smartest (i.e. - laying their eggs anywhere - including a tool box inside a shop) but we DO have fresh eggs.

Umm... I just think they are amazing... authentic... and amazing

and they make huge messes and tons of great projects... never boring.

like I said. Never boring.

I may never have HAD brothers... but I watched brothers my whole life.

And these police men makes John's day - every year :)

And our students teach about their cultures to the kids at Washington...

And my dad is moving into the 21st century... kind of excited - kinda sad.

I am thankful for these children and that sunset - and that we didn't get towed...

I am thankful for her. INSIDE and OUT.  
The Doctors can find NOTHING wrong with her.
That's always been my problem too...




I'm thankful for this grandpa and the 3 others who pour into our kids lives - every day




I think mostly I am thankful that I am too sick to try carbonated olives.



I am thankful for the unique experience that my son and I have of sharing a best friend. 
30 years later...


This.

This is my life. Could it get any better? I think not.

No comments: