Sunday, July 26, 2009

Life Unexpected

I sit this day, the day of our youngest child's first birthday party – inside of a hotel by the beach, after a one hour massage and 4 days of snorkeling in unspoiled marine waters, watching political unrest unfold on the television, and thanking the Lord for all of the safety He has given us in the last week and opportunities He had given us in our life. If our life was a book – I couldn't write this stuff – if it were a mystery, I couldn't anticipate it; a prize, I couldn't earn it. And I laugh at my efforts to plan it or improve it with all my worry and effort. Let it be. It is amazing... unexpected, unpredictable and unbeatable in every opportunity and lesson it brings our way.


Teaching my son to ride a horse... somehow I get this feeling it could be a completely practical skill around here...


Lucy after her first ride on a horse... she's a pretty happy camper now that the illnesses have passed


Another life skill that I could have never anticipated... using a machete – in your underwear and rain boots none the less


A group of kids from the English class I have been teaching up in Urraco


A clan of friends playing UNO – or “One” as they like to call it – after english class.


Lucy and I picking fresh oranges and limes... one day, in the quite of the evening while picking citrus in the fields with Lucy I thought.... why would I ever want to leave this place?”


One day while doing laundry that had gotten rained on the three previous days I had hung them out I thought, “why would I ever want to live here?”

And so it goes...


Here is a hike with a gun and a machete, and my new chainsaw that my parents brought.... more of that to come...


Here is dad fixing the chairs at our school... the kids were so grateful


Later that day dad when to the hospital with a kidney stone...


But the next day we were building a giant sand turtle – (like I said, you can't dream this stuff up)






Because next we were on to spend three days for free in a beach front house of a blessed couple who just like people to enjoy the blessings of God's beautiful peaceful waters.


It wore us out....


But not too much to much to have a good little birthday party -


And never fear – we took care of the birthday girl's hair.

3 comments:

The Tarka Family said...

Lucy's gotten a lot more photogenic!! What a doll. What an adventure you're on. We miss you guys.

Jessica said...

Woah, y'all. Bravo, as usual, for being brave and trusting God and feeling your way along. A writing teacher or mine loved to quote E.L. Doctorow: "Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." Same could be said for life, yes? Love to you all.

katie said...

Thank you for the update and the pictures. I thought of Lucy on her big day and pray for you guys all the time. In one week camp will be over and I will be back to hays. I am kind of ready to be home for a while. I have been reading the bible through using the message and I always have so many things I want to share with you, I miss our studies.
Later,
Katie